James Thompson, Jr. (1847-1908), by Teresa Thompson
Download text at right
Miller's Cottage c. 1914
West Shore Road west of old Townsend mill, built late 17th or early 18th century; destroyed by fire c. 1920.
Elizabeth A. Appleford and Wellington S. Appleford (seated); Ida M. Verity (their daughter, standing); Frank Verity, Jr.(grandson); Lud (dog). Wellington Appleford was a Civil War veteran, having served with the Mounted Rifles, New York Volunteers. His discharge papers are in the Society's archives (Slutter Collection).
Peter N. Layton Shop c. 1902
Peter N. Layton built a special type of light carriage called a road cart in his shop on Bay Avenue. He also built auto bodies for cars and trucks, including several early fire engines for Oyster Bay's fire companies. The building is still extant, though greatly altered; a fire in 1929 gutted the second floor.
Anna and Waverly Wright c.1900.
Anna (b 1889) and Thomas Waverly Wright (1888-1918) were the children of Joseph Warren Wright and Mary (Smith) White of Oyster Bay. Waverly was an active member of Oyster Bay Fire Company No. 1 and appears in many of the Society's photographs of World War I-era parades. Anna married John Doughty of Brooklyn in 1914 and had a son, Benjamin George, in 1917.
The Oyster Bay Wrights trace their roots to Peter Wright, one of the Town's original settlers and purchasers of the Town Spot.
Oyster Bay Baseball Team, 1904
Front: Ed Knapp, Danny Murray, unidentified, Red Cody, James H. Vernon, Fred Vernon; Middle: Jim Thompson and James "Pin" Earle; Rear: John Hill, Chester Robinson, Scotty Thompson, Lee Townsend.
The Oyster Bay Nine travelled to Stamford, CT, Canarsie (Brooklyn) and West Farms (the Bronx) to play games. Home field was the Cow Lot at West Main and Spring Streets.
Oyster Bay High School Administration and Faculty, 1909
At left, Thomas Colby, Principal; third from left, Julia Thurston, Preceptress and head of English Department. .
Child with Lamb on Halter, c. 1875
West Main Street [?]
This photograph may have been taken at the Seeley-Wright House on West Main Street opposite Raynham Hall. The child remains unidentified but may be one of the Seeley children
Alger Cottage c. 1870
75 Cove Road.
When longtime owner Madame Jacques Alger died in 1925, her house was believed to be 130 years old. At one time the house was reportedly a feed and grain store, and in fact the steamboat docks were conveniently close by.
Big Ben Food Market, 1954
This building opened in 1924 as an Oddfellows Temple, before overcrowding in the Oyster Bay School District led to the leasing of classroom space on the ground floor. Later, a rollerskating rink operated here, before the market opened in 1937. The building was eventually sold to Oyster Bay Fire Company No. 1 when the 1895 firehouse was ruled to be beyond repair. When Company No. 1 expanded their parking lot to the south, the Earle-Wightman House, then on South Street, was moved to 20 Summit Street, the site of the 1895 firehouse, which had burned down.
Sagamore Water Company c. 1913
Water from artesian wells in the Battery section of Oyster Bay (at the end of South Street) was pumped to this company's building and shipped on barges to New York City and beyond. Local deliveries were made by wagon