Donating Items to the OBHS What you need to know...
The Mission of the Society is limited to the hamlet of Oyster Bay; however, we will also consider items owned or produced by individuals that have ties to our surrounding communities. Ideally, we look for papers or photographs that help us reconstruct the past and foster an accurate description of what life was like for our predecessors. If you are considering donating an item to the Oyster Bay Historical Society, please read the following:
• The Society cannot appraise items for you. We can provide you with a list of local appraisers for your individual items.
• Typically the Society will not pay for items for the collection. Exceptions have been made with the approval of the Board of Trustees, but this is in very rare cases.
• If possible, be prepared to answer questions or provide any documentation regarding the item being donated; including provenance (how you came to own it) and any interesting information about past owners.
• For papers, manuscripts, photographs and other original material there may be the issue of copyright. This can be discussed at the time of your appointment.
• You will be expected to sign a Deed of Gift which formally signifies that the items become actual property of the archives.
• We cannot promise that your donated materials will be displayed, however if and when the item is displayed, it will be presented as an item donated by you or your family.